You may already know that lighting the average home consumes a significant amount of energy and, when that electricity bill comes at the end of the month, your pocket feels the effects the most.
Who said lights have to be bland: Ledbox LED wall fixture which has colour, decorative and signaling filters
You may also, like most people, still be using incandescent lights, which were first invented in 1879 by Thomas Edison and haven’t changed much since then in terms of the technology used.
Unfortunately, these lights are quite inefficient, using about 85% of their energy to produce heat alone.
What you may not fully be aware of is that there are lighting alternatives that will not only make your house or business more eco-friendly, but will also ease the knock your pocket takes when it’s time to pay.
But if using the tried and tested incandescent light is not your best option, what are the alternatives and do they do the job as well?
There are two main eco-friendly lighting solutions currently available for purchase: compact fluorescent lights (CFL) and light-emitting diodes (LED).
Although CFL bulbs may cost a bit more than traditional bulbs, the benefit is that they last 15 times longer and use nearly 79% less energy in comparison to traditional light bulbs. LED bulbs, which have been around for several years in commercial applications, have since been designed for domestic use. These lights are one of the best energy-saving solutions around.
If you thought CFL bulbs were great, LEDs are even better, and last four times longer than CFLs, making them a great option for long-term energy efficiency.
The costs may be a bit more than your traditional light bulb, but they are definitely value for money.
Here are some of the main benefits of using energy-efficient lights in your home or business:
- Long lifespan: LED bulbs can last for 11 years if used to their full capacity and up to 20 years if only used to half their capacity (from 25 000 to 50 000 hours). CFL bulbs have a lifespan of between 8 000 and 12 000 hours. Traditional light bulbs only last for about 1 000 hours.
- Energy-efficient: In LED bulbs, about 80% of the electrical energy is converted to light, compared to traditional bulbs, which convert 79% of their electrical energy to heat. CFL bulbs use about 75% less energy and about 90% less heat.
- Eco-friendly: These lights are free of any toxic chemicals, which is good news for you and the environment.
- Highly durable: LEDs are resistant to external impact such as vibrations and shocks, making them perfect for both indoor and outdoor lighting.
- Money-saving: You’ll see a significant decrease in your electricity costs at the end of the month.